Family Bible Study – Week 5 Recap
July 15, 2021
If you haven’t yet read the introduction, vision, and the previous weeks’ content for this family Bible study, please catch-up at calvaryphx.com/kids before proceeding.
Watch 4-minute video on this week’s part of the Shema we’re looking at.
SOUL – “Nephesh”
The NAS Hebrew Lexicon defines “nephesh” as:
soul, self, life, creature, person, appetite, mind, living being, desire, emotion, passion
-that which breathes, the breathing substance or being, soul, the inner being of a person –living being, seat of the appetites, seat of emotions and passions
It’s the part of us that’s not physical. The part of us that lives forever.
Throat, a breathing creature, your life.
We ARE a nephesh, we’re a living, breathing, physical being—the whole human.
It means to devote your entire being to God.
Look up & Discuss
- Proverbs 11:30 – people are repeatedly referred to as souls in the Bible
- Psalm 16:9-10, Acts 2:41 – more examples
- Jeremiah 38:16 – Created by God
- James 1:21 – Can be lost or saved
- Lev 17:11 – Needs atonement
- 1 Peter 1:22 – Purified and protected by truth and Holy Spirit
- 1 Peter 2:25 – Jesus is the Shepherd of our souls
- Matthew 10:28 – Our soul is eternal
- Matthew 16:26 – Our soul is priceless
- Matthew 11:29 – Jesus gives our souls rest!
Spirit-soul-body – Spirit aware of God, Body aware of world
Soul=mind, will, emotions
- Every human soul matters.
- Every human soul will live forever, either with God or separated from Him in Hell.
- We are to be out seeking to save souls and bring them to Jesus.
- Our kids’ need to know Jesus. It’s our #1 job as parents!
- Besides your personal daily devotions and prayer
- Encourage to pray regularly as a family
- Encourage to have family devos at least once a week (song, scripture, prayer).