Family Bible Study – Week 4 Recap
July 8, 2021
If you haven’t yet read the introduction, vision, and the previous weeks’ content for this family Bible study, please catch-up at calvaryphx.com/kids before proceeding.
Watch 3-minute video on this week’s part of the Shema we’re looking at.
HEART – “Lev”
What does the Bible say about the heart? A lot–it’s mentioned about 1000 times!
- The heart is that spiritual part of us where our emotions and desires dwell.
- It contains our intellect, understanding, wisdom, and discernment.
- Feeling emotions-bad and good.
- Choices are made.
- Affections are centered.
- The center of all human existence.
Look Up & Discuss
- Acts 13:22 – We have a heart because God does.
- 1 Sam 2:35, Jer. 3:15 – God blesses His people with leaders who know and follow His heart.
- Jer. 17:9 – The human heart is naturally evil, treacherous and deceitful.
Because of the fall into sin, our hearts (mind, emotions, and desires) are tainted by sin.
- Psalm 44:21 – God knows the secrets of our heart, we may not understand them, but God does (1 Cor. 14:25)
- Jer. 17:10 – God judges righteously
Jesus pointed out the fallen condition of our hearts:
- Mark 7:21-23 – our biggest problem is internal.
So how are we saved?
- Romans 10:10 – We get a heart change by the power of God in response to faith.
- Ps. 51:10 – God can give us a new heart
- Ezek. 36:26 –
- Is. 57:15 – revives the heart of the contrite
- Ps. 17:3 – God’s work of creating a new heart involves testing our hearts (Deut. 8:2 also)
- Neh. 7:5, 1 Kings 10:24, 2 Cor. 8:16 – God fills our hearts with new ideas, new wisdom, and new desires.
- Prov. 4:23 – Guard our hearts, it’s the core of our being.
- Jeremiah 31:31-34 – God declares He will write His law on our hearts.
- Hebrews 8:8-13 – This is fulfilled in New Testament under Jesus. Old is now obsolete.
What’s that law? LOVE—we talked about last week.
Our kids’ hearts – the Internet/social media can get ahold of them before we even realize it and do lots of damage.
Great need for supervision and filtering.
- Besides your personal daily devotions and prayer
- Encourage to pray regularly as a family
- Encourage to have family devos at least once a week (song, scripture, prayer).
FREE AXIS MEMBERSHIP – Check out Conversation Kits!
Calvary has purchased a group membership to Axis.org which is an incredible resource to navigate today’s culture for parents that includes:
- A massive library of culturally relevant guides, video and audio for parents.
- A clear plan showing you how to use our content to converse with your kid.
- A team of Gospel-focused researchers ready to answer your questions and pray for you.
Axis is a partner and guide to deepening your relationship with your kids by having an ongoing conversation aimed at leading them into a lifelong faith in Jesus.
To receive your free 1 year membership, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
See you on Thursday!