Family Bible Study – Week 1 Recap Notes
June 17, 2021
We believe the Gospel of Jesus is everything, the most important thing in life.
- Everyone’s either lost or found
- Eternity is for everyone
- We’re lost in sin without Jesus
- He rescued us and asks us to reach others
Part of the Vision for CalvaryKids
- Family ministry, families doing life together centered around Jesus
- Equipping parents to be the primary disciple-makers throughout the week, church only gets 1 hour
Disciple – to teach or train
Kids are being discipled by the world, media, school, friends if we don’t disciple them in Jesus.
- God says it’s our job as parents to disciple them in His ways.
- We’re going to model discipleship here and do it together.
Following God must be in our hearts first before we can share it, our kids learn by seeing us live it.
How to teach to their heart?
- Continuously point to Jesus (every opportunity, all day)
- Live in gratitude
- Demonstrate faith
- Incentivize Bible reading, memorization, etc.
- Ask questions and teach them the answers.
Why again? We’ve been redeemed, in God’s family, we have new natures, we have His Spirit, His ways are best, life is about eternity.
Family Bible Study Vision: the Shema – Deut 6
“…love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength… teach them diligently to your children…”
“Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! And you shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. And you shall repeat them diligently to your children and speak of them when you sit in your house, when you walk on the road, when you lie down, and when you get up.” (Deuteronomy 6:4–7)
Why Shema? Jesus referenced it when asked what the most important commandment is:
Jesus replied, “‘You must love the LORD your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:37–40)
- We’ll keep it fun
- We’ll keep it simple
- Encourage/challenge you to pray regularly as a family
- Encourage/challenge you to have family devos at least once a week (simple: song, scripture, prayer).
Watch 3-minute video on this week’s part of the Shema we’re looking at.
Hear/Listen – “Shema” to what God says, pay attention to, focus on, respond to, to act or do something.
- Not just listen, but listen and obey.
How do we hear God? Focus on spending regular time with him every day… Bible, prayer, worship… (need to be purposeful and intentional about making this happen or it won’t).
Look up Scriptures & Discuss:
Romans 2:13 – Not just listening, but obeying, doing.
Why is obedience to God important?
1 John 5:1-3 – It proves our love for Him
1 John 2:3-6 – Demonstrates our faithfulness to Him
1 Peter 2:12 – It glorifies Him in the world
John 13:17 – It opens avenues of blessing for us
Hebrews 11:6 – Faith is necessary to please God, genuine faith leads to a lifestyle following God, modeling Jesus’ example. Obey because want to, not have to, we love Him.
2 Corinthians 5:17 – Enabled to obey since we are remade. Not the same, new creations!
2 Corinthians 3:16-18 – Life of joy, no shame, rooted deeply in the Lord and confident in our eternal hope.
Our obedience is actually part of our assurance that we truly know God (1 John 2:3-already read).
Matthew 5:14-16 – He is glorified, pointing other to Him.
Psalm 128:1 – God blesses and rewards obedience.
James 1:22-25 – Do not merely listen, do what it says
Psalm 119:1-2 – Joy!
Hebrews 10:16-17 – God is gracious! New Covenant, forgiveness.
1 John 1:8-9 – Wear it out!
- Besides your personal daily devotions and prayer
- Encourage to pray regularly as a family
- Encourage to have family devos at least once a week (song, scripture, prayer).
FREE AXIS MEMBERSHIP
Calvary has purchased a group membership to Axis.org which is an incredible resource to navigate today’s culture for parents that includes:
- A massive library of culturally relevant guides, video and audio for parents.
- A clear plan showing you how to use our content to converse with your kid.
- A team of Gospel-focused researchers ready to answer your questions and pray for you.
Axis is a partner and guide to deepening your relationship with your kids by having an ongoing conversation aimed at leading them into a lifelong faith in Jesus.
To receive your free 1 year membership, please email email@example.com.
See you on Thursday!